#ShopLocal in Lawrenceville: Holiday Gift Guide 2017
In my family, my sister has started to equate Santa with Amazon. She literally said to my dad, “Are my Christmas presents in the cart yet?” What a bummer. Take holiday shopping offline this year and support the dozens of small and independent businesses in Lawrenceville. We’ve rounded up unique gifts for everyone on your list, and the best part of it is that you see the people you’re supporting with every gift purchase. Have a conversation with a shop owner. Ask ’em about the difference between two products. Cross off every item on your list and then treat yourself to lunch. See why I describe every business owner or employee in Lawrenceville as “the nicest person ever.” The holidays are supposed to be about human connection, right? Use our new edition of the Lawrenceville business directory to travel the neighborhood and shop small.
- Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls: Volume 2. Brambler Boutique. 3609 Butler Street. Brambler has a wide selection of children’s literature focusing on incredible female role models. Why? “We have lots of books about women/girls because there aren’t actually that many and we want to give you as many choices as possible…women learn/read/watch about men all the time, and we need men/boys to learn about women more.” Buy your son or daughter the book! You can also check out a variety of products for mom, baby and kid. Brambler offers everything from stocking stuffers to larger items like baby carriers and winter gear. Check weekly holiday deals here.
- December Specials. Waxing the City. 3605 Butler Street. Waxing the City is offering a gift card special throughout the entire month of December. Receive a $5 bonus card with each $25 card you buy, $10 bonus with a $50 card purchase, and $20 bonus with a $100 gift card. Nothing says you can’t purchase those gift cards for yourself! Stop in and ask about other gift specials throughout the month.
- Oreo Gift Sets. Bella Christie & Lil’ Z’s Boutique. 3511 Butler Street. Goodies at Bella Christie’s are almost too cute to eat. Grab a holiday themed treat—both Christmas and Hanukkah options available! The bakery also offers customized holiday cakes. Show up to the party with something local and unique this year.
- Original Woodcut Prints. Paul’s Print Store. 3534 1/2 Butler Street. Paul’s Print Store recently opened in Lawrenceville! Check out some affordable + high quality beautiful woodcut prints, made in Pittsburgh. Check out the catalog here.
- For the foodie in your life, check out gift card options at Franktuary, Round Corner Cantina, Piccolo Forno or Pastitsio. Each spot has options for meat eaters + vegetarians alike (and both Franktuary + Round Corner Cantina have stellar brunch options!)
- Growlers + Merch. Eleventh Hour Brewing Co. 3711 Charlotte Street. Grab a growler of Eleventh Hour’s newest Burning Phoenix Jalapeno Pale Ale for a holiday party or table (I get it every time I’m in) or check out their merch selection; it varies from t-shirts to license plates!
- Senti Gift Cards. Senti. 3473 Butler Street. You can grab a standard gift card at Senti for an amazing meal, but you can also get a pre paid card to use the restaurant’s wine dispenser. It’s like a debit card for wine. Need we say more?
- Specialty Coffees. Espresso a Mano. 3623 Butler Street. Check out Espresso’s wide selection of specialty coffees. Think about the return to work after the holidays. You’ll make that transition easier for your loved ones if they have a cup of good brew on hand. Ask about gift cards, too, and congratulate them on a new recently opened location in Southside.
- Wine & Cheese. Engine House 25 Wines and Wheel and Wedge Cheese Shop. 3339 Penn Avenue. This perfect duo is located next door to The Roberto Clemente Museum. Stop in Wheel & Wedge, pick up ingredients to make the world’s coolest cheese board, and grab a bottle of wine to go at Engine House.
- Sugar Scrubs. Una Biologicals. 4322 Butler Street. Simply walking into Una Biologicals is calming. Get your holiday shopping done and take a minute to relax while you’re at it! Their beauty and skin care products are handmade in Pittsburgh and range from sugar scrubs to body butters to salves. All products are natural and will save your skin from the winter.
- Holiday Cards. Wildcard. 4209 Butler Street. Holiday cards seems like an obvious one for Wildcard, but they’re a go-to during the holiday season. Don’t send the same boring Christmas card this year and get a stack that are made by Pittsburgh artists or craftspeople! Wildcard also has a cool selection of holiday gift wrap and decor. Leave it to the pros this year and take the stress out of gift wrapping.
- Juice Cleanse Package. REED&CO. 4113 Butler Street. Our gift idea from REED&CO was going to be their holiday fire cider, but it’s so good it sold out! Check back for restocks, but in the meantime grab a juice cleanse for a post-holiday detox. While you’re at it, try the life changing trail mix. It delivers on that promise.
- Movies + Chinese Food. Row House Cinema. 4115 Butler. Row House is offering Chinese food during their movie screenings the night of Christmas Eve + all of Christmas day. You can place orders at the counter before the movie starts (they’re playing White Christmas, Home Alone, Christmas Vacation & Die Hard) and the food will be delivered to you mid movie. Your family can escape to the movies this Christmas instead of putting up with relatives that hit the holiday booze a little too hard before dinner even started. Can’t think of a better gift. Make sure to stop next door at Bierport and grab a drink for the movie, too. Check details and showtimes here.
- Holiday Gift Pack. The Candle Lab. 4409 Butler Street. Keep those holiday vibes flowing in the air through the new year with a gift pack from The Candle Lab. Scents vary from candy cane to gingerbread to mistletoe. You could also pick up a gift card to come back and make a candle later on with your own choice of scents–the shop is BYOB and experience gifts always deliver.
- Pickle Hand Crafted Ornament. Gerbe Glass. 4119 Butler Street. Check out Bernadette Gerbe’s selection of handmade ornaments. You’ve probably seen her blowing glass through the window of her storefront. Stop in, say hi (hopefully her dog Tank is inside too!) and check out the other products available, including sculptures, pendants, and more. All ornaments are buy 5, get one free.
- Old School Games. Kickback Pinball Cafe + Arsenal Bowl. 4326 Butler Street & 212 44th Street. Grab some tokens at Kickback (recent winners of our 2017 #CookieCup) and tell your loved ones to put ’em toward a tournament later in the year, or grab a gift certificate at Arsenal Bowl and take the whole family out for bowling. Two staples of Lawrenceville that offer family-friendly gifts.
- Remnant Lab Products. Kelly Lane Design. 100 43rd Street, Suite 108. Kelly Lane is a sustainable fashion collection located in the Ice House Studios. Check out products from Remnant Lab. The line includes pillows, necklaces, bags, wall hangings, and more, all made from spare scraps of fabric that would otherwise be wasted. A super cool idea, and an even better gift.
- Dine In. Make reservations this year. Skip the cooking and the stress, or grab a gift card for later. If you’re feeling grinchy, The Abbey on Butler has gorgeous decor that will make anyone get into the holiday spirit. Grab a sandwich or a bubble tea at Banh Mi & Ti while you’re shopping. Pick up a box of pastries at La Gourmandine or some empanadas from Ki Pollo. Get dangerously full.
- Stay Warm. Gallery on 43rd Street. 187 43rd Street. This winter the gallery is home to artfully created mittens, scarves, baby sweaters and hats for that special person on your list. All are hand made in Pittsburgh! Follow along on Facebook.
- Living Ornaments. City Grows. 5208 Butler Street. City Grows boasts a variety of urban garden treasures, but their living ornaments are a favorite right now. They’ll live on as cute decor throughout the rest of the year, but add something unexpected to your tree.
- Unique Reads. Nine Stories. 5400 Butler Street. Nine Stories is Lawrenceville’s independent bookstore, and their selection is super vibrant. Find books about spooky podcasts, a biography on Stevie Nicks (that is apparently a serious tearjerker) and other cute products like cat mugs and Kurt Vonnegut t-shirts. Nine Stories is also great about recommendations and asks; I once asked about spooky British murder mysteries for my mom and they delivered.
- Bridge Witches Tarot Deck by Ki11erPancake. Bridge Witches is a tarot deck created by local artist Ki11erPancake. It recently debuted at Handmade Arcade and combines the witchy wisdom of tarot and the diverse communities of Pittsburgh. Read more here. The deck is handmade out of the artist’s home in Upper Lawrenceville and sold online as well as locally at Nine Stories Pittsburgh and Wildcard.
- Cranberry Pomegranate Facial. Metamorphosis Organic Salon & Spa. 5112 Butler Street. Metamorphosis’ December specials are here to give everyone a release from holiday stress. Need a gift for the person in your life who cooks the holiday dinner, wraps the gifts, does all the work? Let ’em relax. This masque includes whole fruits, seeds, juice, flax seed, sunflower and sesame oils to revitalize your skin.
- Stocking Stuffers for Human’s Best Friend. Lawrenceville Pet Supply. 5152 Butler Street. Grab anything from a Harry Potter themed dog collar to locally made Grounds & Hounds coffee! Follow Lawrenceville’s independent pet store on Facebook to check out new items!
- Handmade Chain Earrings. Skelton Jewelry. 4049 Penn Avenue. Stop by Samantha Skelton’s shop on Penn Avenue to check out her handmade jewelry. Follow her on Instagram to see her work! Head next door at Constellation Coffee after browsing, and you just supported two women-owned businesses. Boom.
- Solar System Necklace. Songbird Artistry. 4316 Penn Avenue. Songbird Artistry is a family owned vintage and thrift shop. Check out their selection of handmade Pittsburgh goodies, from onesies to necklaces to coasters. Every item in the store is handmade. Follow them on Facebook for the latest finds.