2016 has been a year of monumental change for most of us. We have switched jobs, bought houses, brought new (human or furry) life into the world. And Lawrenceville keeps pace. Our 2.5 miles of city supports 284 business, 11,000 neighbors, a tree park, fruit orchard, community garden, and a dog park. So in the spirit of year end successes and new year’s challenges, we challenge you to celebrate with appropriate enthusiasm. No matter your budget or level of commitment, there awaits a joyous New Year’s at one of our neighborhood spots.
High on Fun, Low on Funds:
1) Round Corner Cantina– This rooftop bar has one of the only cover free events in the city, featuring DJ’s EYE JAY, Christo, DJ Bamboo & El Gallo! Their powerful margaritas are a particularly good bang for your holiday buck. (9PM-2AM)
2) Arsenal Bowl- You have two opportunities to knock your pins into 2017. The All Ages New Years party provides a family friendly 5PM-8PM escape, while you can Roll in the New Year with unlimited bowling and in-lane DJs from 9PM-2AM. Tickets range from $12.95 to $19.99 and include noisemakers and a champagne toast for those of age!
3) Cattivo’s Gothic Masquerade Ball– Celebrate your inner dark lord and head bang into 2017 with the best industrial, post-punk, and synth music Pittsburgh’s underground has to offer. The acrobatic, burlesque, and contortionist performances are sure to stretch your sense of reality, and your $10 donation (if you wear a mask) will go to the Autism Research Institute. (9PM-2AM)
4) Dive Bar and Grille– If you’re looking to have a casual night with friends, Dive has great drink deals to keep spirits high. Their happy hour boasts $2 off select craft beers, $3.50 Smirnoff vodka, $4 house wine, $2 off specialty cocktails, and half price appetizers. If you make it to midnight, there’s a champagne toast to sweeten 2017. (Happy Hour from 9PM-11PM)
Keep it Classy (but moderately priced)
1) Tender– For those looking to break out that impractical party outfit, treat yourself to the most creative cocktails at this beautifully restored bank building. Your $50 will get you an entry cocktail, heavy passed hors d’oeuvres (with both vegetarian and gluten-free options), DJ Zombo’s eclectic tunes, and a champagne toast. (8PM-2AM).
2) Spirit– The staple indie venue is hosting 6 different acts in their two dance halls, including KEEB$, The Paul Keys Band, Stayduhar and the Spirit Rockettes, and PSO darlings Beauty Slap. They’ll have a bountiful dinner buffet from 6PM-8PM, including bottomless champagne and 2 fancy cocktails for only $35. General Admission is $20 presale, and includes free pizza and a midnight toast. (9PM-2AM)
3) Umami– For an evening with international flair, head over to Pittsburgh’s prettiest sushi restaurant (but really, you almost can’t eat these rolls!) Chef Roger Li will treat you to an array of sure-to-be-stunning hors d’oeuvres, while the Maestros will bring the global dance beats. Your $40 entrance includes two drink tickets and a champagne toast! (10PM-2AM)
4) The Goldmark– If you’re craving electronic music but not the crowds, this DJ-owned bar will exceed even the snootiest audiophile’s expectations. Try one of their classic drink pairings, with tracks spun by DJ Midas and DJ Nugget. Entrance is $25 and gets you a free champagne toast. (8PM-2AM)
Treat Your Inner Gourmand
1) Senti– For simply delicious wine pairings, this elegant Italian lounge will transport you to 2017 one glass at a time. The chef has prepared a special à la carte menu for the evening, and diners will be treated to a complimentary glass of prosecco. (Reservations until 11PM)
2) Piccolo Forno– Treat yourself to a hearty winter feast at this longtime neighborhood favorite. The 4 course prixe fixe menu offers a savory meat and vegetarian option, and boasts the tenderest gnocchi this side of the Allegheny. It will surely be a $50 well spent. (Reservations until 9PM)
3) Morcilla– If unusual flavors make your heart sing, think about investing in this Basque tapas restaurant’s $75 tasting menu. They’ll be offering grilled shellfish, thoughtfully flavored charcuterie platters, and roast pork like you never knew possible. Make sure to try one of their house made tonic drinks or a classic sangria. (3PM-11PM)
4) Cure– Sample a curious array of charcuterie, seafood, and pickled treats with this luxurious 6 course tasting menu. The $125 a plate offering is sure to tempt an adventurous palate, and comes with optional beverage pairings. Seating is available from 4PM-9:30PM.